Pub Quizzes in Edinburgh Tonight:
7pm – Brass Monkey Leith. Jackpot: £50. Cheat: Mister Strong (pic round)
7pm – Portobello Tap. Jackpot: £120. Cheat: Lindsay Davenport (pic round)
9pm – Argyle Bar Jackpot £150. Cheat news: John Lennon (music round)
9pm – Safari Lounge. Jackpot £30. Cheat news: Avril Lavigne (music round)
Here are the music round cheats for tonight
The first is for the Argyle Bar:
It’s John Lennon out of the Beatles, a couple of weeks into the 1970s, with a new haircut for a new decade.
Fun facts about the song:
- ‘Instant Karma’ was written in one hour.
- Phil Spector produced the song after Lennon phoned him up telling the American “Come over to Apple quick, I’ve just written a monster.”
- Lennon had stated that royalties would go to the Peace movement, but this was later “discreetly forgotten”, according to author Barry Miles.
- The Beatles were finished by this time but still together officially. Instant Karma was released in February but a proper split announcement didn’t come until April when Paul McCartney announced he was finished with The Beatles.
- The long hair that Lennon (and Yoko Ono) cut off their heads of prior to the release of the single was donated to Michael X‘s Black House Commune, which was a headquarters for Black Power in London. Lennon would later pay Michael X‘s bail when X was up for extortion. Following this, Michael X fled to Trinidad where four years later he would find himself being hanged for murder.
- By the way, most of this is from a very detailed Wikipedia page dedicated to the song.
Meanwhile the Safari Lounge music round will contain this song by Avril Lavigne:
This Avril Lavigne song is one of the most unconvincing things I have heard since the Bank of Scotland and RBS both closed their branches at Goldenacre and had the nerve to put up posters explaining why this would be BETTER for me as a customer, because although the nearest branch was now absolutely fucking miles away, it would be a better branch.
Anyway, what are my banking woes to you, the quiz fan? Nothing at all. Don’t let me bother you.
Instead, come to the quiz, win the money and take a photograph of yourself. You won’t regret a thing.
See you tonight – x
For cheats and hints to win Dr Paul quizzes in Edinburgh, get the weekly email.